Currently I run five Domino partitions on an iSeries 270 Dedicated for Domino. Yes, that's one of the bumblebee boxes. I'm migrating to an IBM BladeCenter with a DS4300 SAN. We have two blades for Domino, with mail services on one and applications on another. I am debating installing a secondary Domino partition on each blade and using them for clustering, but that's another set of posts.
The first step in this process was to determine the best approach for moving things over. After extensive research and lots of testing with VMWare Workstation I decided on the following scenario:
- Install the same version of Domino on RHEL that I have on the iSeries. In my case this is 6.5.4 FP3.
- Create a folder in /local/ for each Domino partition
- Create an IFS share on the iSeries for the root Domino folder (all my Domino partitions are installed in /NOTES/ on the iSeries)
- Mount the share on linux and copy the files from the iSeries to linux
- Adjust notes.ini to use the new path structure
That's the 50,000 foot view of where I'm headed. In upcoming posts I will cover installing RHEL and configuring it for Domino, installing Domino, configuring ODBCDirect database drivers, migrating servers, and tweaking applications so they work correctly. I expect to learn a lot throughout this process.