- You get the error "The IP address is assigned to another adapter which is hidden. In order to allocate the actual IP address of the server to the network adapter/s you'll need to remove the hidden adapters."
- You can assign the IP address, but the Network Properties dialog shows it is DHCP. ipconfig will show the static IP. Resetting the static IP in the Network Properties doesn't stick.
If the first one happens it's pretty shocking because you can't give your server the IP address you want, and you can't find the interface that has it assigned. In the second case it doesn't hurt anything because it still works, it's just inconsistent and can cause some issues when troubleshooting.
To fix this follow these steps:
- Open a command prompt on the affected VM
- Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter
- Open Device Manager by typing devmgmt.msc and pressing Enter from the same command prompt
- In Device Manager click View > Show Hidden Devices
- Find the old devices and delete them
- Restart the server